The Pocomoke City Mayor and Council addressed a wide range of city business the evening of Monday, August 17th, approving several expenditures and property matters while also discussing the search for a new police chief, emergency planning for large events, the future of a city-owned property and the upcoming Pocomoke River drawbridge closure.
The meeting also featured an extended discussion from Mayor Todd Nock about the history and finances of Dockside Restaurant, which operates in the city-owned property at 2 Riverside Drive.
Council approves annual lagoon grit removal
The council approved a bid of $47,650 from Miller’s Land Services for the annual removal of grit from the city’s wastewater lagoons at 1634 Dun Swamp Road. City staff explained that the work involves the section where sewage haulers dump material. According to staff, the section must be cleaned annually and this will be the third year the work has been performed. Staff said costs over the previous two fiscal years had ranged from approximately $33,000 to $39,000, with last year’s actual cost coming to $33,501.60.
The $47,650 bid is a not-to-exceed amount, according to staff, meaning the actual cost could be lower. Staff also cautioned that delaying the work could increase the cost because of the additional stone and grit that would accumulate.
During the discussion, Nock asked whether the city remained under a previous arrangement involving the City of Fruitland hauling sewage to Pocomoke. City Manager Brandy Matthews said the city is not currently under such a contract. Matthews said she had spoken with Fruitland’s new city manager and that both agreed any future arrangement should be brought before the respective mayors and councils rather than handled as an informal agreement. Nock explained that the previous situation involved sewage being hauled across county lines and said he was asking because Pocomoke had previously provided the service without charging.
Council selects $36,900 proposal for Riverside Drive floor repairs
The council approved the more extensive of two proposals for floor repairs at the city-owned property at 2 Riverside Drive, where Dockside Restaurant operates.
A $26,338.19 proposal from Straight Edge Construction called for removal of the existing floor and replacement of up to 700 square feet, along with insulation, waterproofing and commercial LVP flooring. The proposal excluded floor joist repairs, foundation work, plumbing, electrical work and repairs in the bar area.
A second proposal from Johnson’s All Scapes totaled $36,900 and covered a larger scope of work, including the bar area and moisture concerns.
Matthews explained that the bar area had previously been problematic, with the bar itself reportedly sagging and portions of the floor becoming soft. Sections of the floor had previously been replaced by both the city and tenants. Matthews said the higher bid included removing the bar, installing a waterproof barrier and addressing underlying conditions involving the floor joists. The proposal also called for a five-day turnaround.
Nock questioned why the Straight Edge proposal excluded the bar area and raised the possibility that unforeseen problems could result in change orders. Staff explained that the two proposals represented different scopes of work, with the Johnson’s proposal addressing more of the underlying conditions.
Councilman C.L. Marshall said the city should address the problem comprehensively.
“I’m of the belief if we’re going to do this, let’s do it right,” Marshall said.
Matthews told the council that city staff recommended the Johnson’s proposal. She also confirmed that both contractors had visited the property.
The council then voted to approve the Johnson’s proposal. Matthews confirmed that funds were available in the city budget for the work.
Council approves $30,000 sale of Cedar Street property
The council approved the sale of Tax ID 01-028464, Parcel 1487, identified in the meeting as Lot 6 on Cedar Street Extended, to Vienna Properties LLC for $30,000. Nock described the property as an approximately 7,254-square-foot unimproved lot. The lot is located between property owned by POPCHOCK EDWARD J &
DIETZ THERESA M (Parcel 1488) at 1100 Cedar Street and ENNIS ROBERT EDWARD & VICKY LYNN (Parcel 1472) at 1016 Cedar Street.

According to City Attorney Andrew Illuminati, the property had previously been declared surplus by the city. He said the $30,000 offer was the most recent offer after negotiations.
Nock provided additional background on the transaction. He said Vienna Properties had initially been told by a former city employee that the city would give the property to the company for free. Nock said the city subsequently rejected that arrangement. He also said the city had received an offer from a neighboring property owner, but the council ultimately rejected that offer.
Nock said the city had previously indicated that it would not accept less than $50,000, but the parties ultimately settled on $30,000.
The council approved the sale.
Council approves alcohol permits for three events
The council approved special one-day alcohol permits for three upcoming events.
Hometown Throwdown Concert on September 24 at Cypress Park
Michael Shannon, the city’s Events, Facilities and Engagement Coordinator, said the event was being arranged as a makeup for a previously canceled Concert in the Park featuring On the Edge. Shannon said the city had scheduled Best Kept Soul for Friday night and was considering moving On the Edge to Thursday night to create a two-night event. The event will be held on Market Street, with a stage in the gravel lot and seating on Market Street.
The permit was approved.
Music & Mud Fest on September 26 at Fairgrounds
Gloria Smith, who appeared before the council on behalf of the event, said the event would include live music, ATVs and a mud-bog activity.
Nock raised concerns about the proposed alcohol-service period, which was listed as 1 p.m. to 11 p.m. During the discussion, Councilman Marshall asked about the timing of the various activities. Smith said the ATV activities were expected to begin around 1 p.m., with the mud bog potentially occurring around 4 p.m. and the concert later in the day.
Nock also raised broader concerns about city services at large events. He said he had received concerns from city departments that organizations were attempting to avoid fees associated with city services and argued that police and EMS resources need to be incorporated into event planning.
“When you’re having an event that’s going to last this long throughout the day and you’re expecting over two to 300 people at said event, city services should not be dealt,” Nock said. Nock said the city’s EMS director wanted some type of pre-event meeting process so emergency plans could be established before large events.
The council approved the permit.
Pocomoke High School Class of 1971’s 55th reunion on October 3
The organizer told the council approximately 50 people were expected to attend.
The council approved the permit.
City considers $15,000 purchase of property near Hartley Hall
During public comment, a representative of Hartley Hall told the council that the organization was preparing to close out its senior-housing operation and transfer the property to another private firm. He told the council that there is an adjoining 1.85-acre commercial property on which the city has a right of first refusal. According to the speaker, the city could acquire the property for $15,000.
The speaker said Hartley Hall was preparing to liquidate its property and that the city had the opportunity either to acquire the parcel or allow the organization to proceed with its disposition. Nock expressed strong support for the city acquiring the property.
“I think it’s a no brainer for 15k,” Nock said.
The Hartley Hall representative said the property could potentially be used in a way that benefits the public. He specifically suggested that the new owners of the senior-housing operation could potentially use the property to expand the facility. He said the property is commercially zoned and described it as a high, dry parcel and potentially one of the last desirable pieces of property on Cedar Street.
The speaker said he would report back that the city intended to acquire it and that the parties would work through the legal and settlement process.
Police chief search extended to September 30
City Manager Brandy Matthews told the council that Chief Arthur Hancock’s last official day will be August 27.
Matthews said the city had received only two internal applications for the police chief position as of the meeting.
She said the application period had been opened July 31 and was originally scheduled to close August 31. Matthews said the city had hoped to receive more applicants so it could conduct a broader vetting process. Nock said he had contacted neighboring municipalities about potential interim chief candidates and suggested also reaching out to Maryland State Police.
The mayor said an interim chief could give the city additional time to select a permanent chief rather than rushing the process. Nock also proposed involving residents in the selection process for the permanent chief.
He suggested that once the city reaches three finalists, it could hold a public forum where residents submit questions in advance and each finalist is asked the same questions. Nock said the next police chief could potentially serve the city for many years and that residents should have an opportunity to participate in the process.
After discussion, Matthews agreed to extend the application period to September 30 and said the city would also advertise the position through the Maryland Municipal League and other organizations. The council did not establish a final procedure for selecting the interim chief during this discussion.
Safe Path Phase One completed
Matthews also announced that Phase One of the Mayor’s Safe Path Initiative has been completed.
She said the city is working with GMB to review the remaining items for Phase Two, which she said will also include completion of the Heights portion of the initiative.
Matthews also reminded residents of several upcoming dates:
- August 24 — Mayor and Council work session
- August 27 — Planning and Zoning Commission meeting
- August 28 — Fourth Friday, featuring a Back to School Bash from 5 to 8 p.m.
- September 2 — Board of Zoning Appeals meeting
Council discusses proposed student recognition award
Councilwoman Brooke Cottman told the council that she had received a request from Pocomoke High School assistant principal Jeff Postell to create a City of Pocomoke award recognizing students performing at a high level.
Cottman said the idea could potentially recognize students such as members of the National Honor Society. The council expressed support for the concept but said additional details would be needed, including the criteria for receiving the award, which students would be eligible and what form the recognition would take.
Nock noted that the distinction between city residents and students who attend Pocomoke High School from outside city limits would also need to be considered.
Nock asked Cottman to meet with Postell and Matthews and bring a more developed proposal back to the council.
Mayor addresses questions surrounding Dockside Restaurant
The longest discussion of the evening came during Nock’s mayoral comments, when he addressed what he described as public speculation and “whispering” concerning the city-owned property at 2 Riverside Drive and Dockside Restaurant.
Nock said he wanted to put the history of the property and the Dockside lease on the public record.
He began by discussing the restaurant’s previous tenant, Mallards on the River. Nock said Mallards left Pocomoke City in 2019 after the city had previously agreed to forbear rent because the business had not paid for several months. Nock said the city did not recover money from Mallards’ departure and that equipment at the restaurant had been damaged.
He said the city subsequently advertised the restaurant as a turnkey operation, although he said the property was not actually turnkey. Nock then described the process through which Dockside was selected. He said he and Councilwoman Diane Downing were not initially provided all of the proposals being considered by the council.
Nock recalled that he and Downing raised the issue during a closed session because they had not seen all of the proposals.
“We can’t make a decision because we haven’t seen all of these bids,” Nock said.
Nock said the council subsequently received the proposals that had not initially been provided to them and that Dockside was ultimately selected from the proposals presented to the council.
He rejected suggestions that Dockside had received the restaurant through a backdoor arrangement.
Nock said Dockside has paid its rent on time every month since taking over the property.
Rent and repair figures
Nock said City Manager Brandy Matthews had calculated the financial figures he presented to the council. According to Nock, Dockside had paid the city $332,442.85 in rent from June 2019 through August 2026. He said that if payments continued through the end of 2026, the total would reach approximately $377,638.45.
Nock also said the city had spent $43,103.78 on repairs and other expenses associated with the restaurant during the period he discussed. Based on those figures, Nock calculated approximately $289,339.07 in net revenue, excluding the loans.
Nock also cited outstanding debt associated with the property, saying the city still owed approximately $83,200 on one loan and approximately $341,250 under a Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development loan. Those figures were presented by Nock during the meeting.
Nock acknowledged that the restaurant’s activities are not necessarily to his personal taste, but said that was separate from the financial relationship between the city and the tenant.
“These people are not getting over on the city,” Nock said.
Nock also discussed the COVID-19 pandemic, saying the council had decided to waive rent for city tenants because businesses were struggling. He said Dockside continued to make its monthly rent payments despite the availability of the waiver.
Nock said the council had voted several months earlier to extend Dockside’s contract. He also said the council had discussed in closed session the possibility of eventually selling the restaurant. He said the Evans family was aware that the city may look to sell the restaurant within the next few years.
Mayor calls for community support during bridge closure
Nock also devoted a substantial portion of his comments to the upcoming closure of the Pocomoke River drawbridge.
He said he had attended a meeting with Maryland Department of Transportation officials along with Councilman C.L. Marshall and Matthews and argued that the bridge should not have to be closed in a manner that prevented vehicle traffic.
Nock said state officials had expressed concerns about boat traffic and that he believed the state should have conducted a study of the number of boats using the drawbridge. He said the bridge will be closed to vehicle traffic during the work, leaving downtown businesses facing a significant disruption.
Nock called on residents and social media users to actively promote Pocomoke’s downtown businesses while the bridge is closed.
“These are people’s livelihoods,” Nock said.
He specifically mentioned businesses ranging from the Pocomoke Discovery Center and Dockside to Cypress Roots and Cafe Milano. Nock said the community should support local businesses because many of the owners live in Pocomoke, pay taxes locally and have longstanding connections to the community.
He also said residents need to continue participating in community discussions, citing the city’s “Ask Me Anything” initiative and an upcoming virtual questionnaire being developed by the Planning Department for the city’s comprehensive planning process.
CORRECTION 8/23: We listed an alcohol permit for the Class of 1955 as shown in the agenda, this was an error, the permit was for the Class of 1971’s 55th anniversary. The article has been updated.
